Grantsville Elementary School
Mission: “Our mission at Grantsville Elementary is to ignite student curiosity in order to grow a lifelong passion for learning that will empower every student to become a contributing member of our evolving, global society.”
Vision: At Grantsville Elementary we provide a climate that encourages students to use their unique talents and abilities to thrive in an educational environment where…
– the environment is warm, safe, and nurturing and all children are treated fairly and achieve their fullest potential.
– individuals demonstrate compassion, empathy, and acceptance for others.
– everyone is respected and heard for their unique contributions.
– students persevere and problem solve through academic, social, and/or personal challenges.
– students will communicate openly and become risk-takers through the building of a strong sense of community within the classroom.
Family and Community Involvement
– the role of the parent/guardian is respected, and their input is valued.
– we will provide a welcoming atmosphere where parent involvement is encouraged, therefore increasing student success.
– all families and community members are invested in the learning of our students.
– staff and Administration will communicate routinely through a variety of methods to keep parents/family members informed.
– a variety of opportunities for families to participate in fun activities together are provided.
– instruction will encourage students to become challenging, questioning, independent thinkers.
– highly qualified teachers will provide differentiated instruction that is data driven and goal-oriented, leading to high expectations for student growth.
– curriculum will be both rigorous and developmentally appropriate.
– instruction will be presented in a way that meets the individual learning needs of all students.
– students will develop the habits of mind to apply what they have learned to real-world situations through the integration of all disciplines.
– students will engage in inquiry-based instruction, thereby developing critical thinking, collaboration, and problem solving skills.
– staff will utilize technology to promote a student population that is tech savvy and able to function in today’s ever-changing world.
– students are provided opportunities to express their creativity and individuality.
Emotional and Social Learning
– students develop social competence through character education and social skills programs.
– staff will foster effective communication that will enable students to express their thoughts, ideas, and emotions while understanding and responding appropriately to the communication of others through modeling and direct instruction.
– staff will promote activities that engage students in alternative solution thinking.
– staff will encourage, support, and provide strategies to empower students as they work through social situations instilling confidence and self-worth.
Garrett County Public Schools
Northern Garrett Middle School consistently does very well on state tests and has had a State Teacher of the Year award winner. Our local high school, Northern Garrett, is among one of only a few high schools in Maryland to receive a prestigious U.S. News and World Report Silver Medal several times and was just named a Blue Ribbon School by the Maryland State Department of Education in 2014!
Garrett County Public Schools
40 South Second Street, Oakland, MD 21550